Walk through one of Deadwood’s houses of prostitution, an industry that operated illegally in the city from 1876 until 1980, when a raid by federal agents finally closed them for good.
Brothels were a fixture on the second story of buildings on Deadwood’s Main Street for more than a century. Local sex workers had an impact on the development of the community in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Visitors will be transported through this 104-year story with a guided tour of the rooms at 610 Main Street, the original site of the Shasta Rooms brothel. The rooms are curated with a variety of period appropriate furnishings.